Sunday, February 8, 2015

How medicine is sometimes practiced in Cambodia

It was Friday afternoon and off we went to the coast for some abcs, air (the non-exhausted filled fresh air), beach, and crabs. The air was indeed better, cooler, and fresher.  The beach was beautiful with cool crystal clear water and hammock-filled stalls to while away the day.  The seafoods, however, did not agree so well with me.

I was determined to suffer as quietly as possible through this terribly uncomfortable ordeal and to push as much fluid as I could stomach until it had worked its course. My fellow travelers had other ideas.  One offered this Chinese typical balm compost of menthol and eucalyptus oil. Indications include cold, headache, rheumatism, neuralgia, insect bites, cramps, and, all chest complaints. Aside from its very strong odor, it does have is uses,  especially against cramps and insect bites.  I had no reservation using it for this particular ailment. As I have never used it for the other indications, I can't attest to its effectiveness,  but the Asians I've known would say it is a cure-all for all kinds of ailments.

Another friend offered 2 pills, which she swore would bring my pain to its immediate end. Other passengers agreed and no matter how hard I protested against taking medications not specifically prescribed to me, I finally gave in. Not surprisingly, symptoms did not disappear!

When I finally had access to the Internet and could look up those pills, I found that one was diiodohydroxyquinolone, used for treatment of amoebiasis. The other,  a black square pill, I'm almost sure was activated charcoal!

How did she come to think that these two medications would treat diarrhea? Well,  in Cambodia,  one could go to any pharmacy, describe the symptoms,  and be given the medications.  And depending on the pharmacist,  these medications could be prescribed correctly or erroneously. No doctor's order necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment